Thursday, March 20, 2008

This is one of those days

Note: the following post is a-flowing with the f-word (erm, no...not "fwah"). Please read something else like recipes if you think you would be offended.

Here we go...


What a fucked up day...

Today started off with a fuck long trip to the Malaysian side of Singapore i.e. NTU,Boon Lay. Each trip to and fro is a 1.5hrs. Put together, that's a fuck 3hrs down the drain each day. Not forgetting how draining it is, especially when the trains are fuck full and I've got to stand with a near 3kg laptop and files weighing me down.

Then there was class. EP class is the worst simply because we have the worst tutor ever. Always speaking in a cryptic way and therefore making her lessons fully redundant, Seng should really be forced to retire at her age. I am not being mean but I do think as a product of the Singapore system, I am inclined to think that even if you are good, you should quit when you are on top of things and let the next generation take over. Do something else. Pursue your interests, take on a new course, volunteer, whatever. Army officers are required to retire once they reach 45? years of age. Perm secs too. Why not teachers who are no longer active in mind and flesh?

She's gone through a recent surgical procedure and therefore walks with a shuffle. But that, I (and I am sure most people) would be willing to overlook if she's able to teach well. But her lessons are unstructured (therefore delivery is haphazard and mediocre). Her classroom management is even worse. She tried to squeeze 6 presentations each lasting 20mins into a 2-hr lesson. Mathematically, that's sound. But we are talking people here. And computers. And engagement of the mind. A teacher should always allow time for meaningful exchanges e.g. Q and A. He/she should allow time for technical hiccups e.g. files taking a little longer to be uploaded. He/she would also consider that students have other classes to attend and they have to walk to these classes.

A good teacher allows lag time. It is stupid and fatally unrealistic to expect clockwork precision in the classroom.

It is also bloody unfair to give the starting groups more time to present and then withdraw the same privilege for subsequent groups because time is running out and telling us to "wrap up" when we are in the midst of our stipulated 20 mins to present. Fuck bullshit,man.

So I needed a cigarette because I was fuming that we have to do a rushed job i.e. we were penalised for her poor sense of reality. The security guard was nice to tell me no smoking on campus. OK, so I adjourned to the carpark. Where cigarette smoke is akin to exhaust fumes, right? There were tons of cigarette butts near the carpark bins anyway.

He tells me to get lost to the roadside. And I was thinking fuck! People smoke here anyway. There are cigarette butts here. Tons of them. So what the hell? Never mind, I put it out after I said "fuck". And doubled my anger at the same time. He told me not to say that and I was thinking: fuck you, I say whatever I want. You are not the fucking police. And btw, that fuck was directed at this bullshit regulation because clearly, other people smoked here too.

Which got me thinking: whatever happened to personal freedom? Shouldnt people be allowed to kill themselves if that's their wish? Are non-smokers that fuck stupid they cant get out of the way when cigarette smoke comes their way? And who says cigarette smoke will DEFINITELY cause lung cancer? Last I remember, the likelihood is high but no doctor has come out to say it is a certainty. There was an article about a woman who got lung cancer.

She was a non-smoker.

Then I went to the bank to open a foreign currency account. And the senior personal banker tried to sell me other stuff instead of processing my application. Dude, I am inclined to think that I know my basic investing principles such as cost averaging,
negative interest rates and buy-and-hold strategy. You dont seem to know more than I do, so fuck off and just open my account and let me start losing money already.

To "wrap up" this fucked up day, I was informed I would be charged $40 for my bank to return my cheque due to inadequate funds. I gave that fucking cheque in mid Feb and it was encashed yesterday...a good 1mth later. What the fuck!!! With interest rates so low in my current account, of course I wont keep excess funds in it. How was I to know that all issued cheques would be encashed on the same fuck day? What are the odds of this fuck shit happening???

Apparently, my odds improved today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters