Friday, December 14, 2007

All play and no work

Sorry I have to remind you but yes, I am having my December hols. I know, I know...I should be so lucky and I am very grateful. I have so much time on my hands I am staying up late to fiddle with Facebook, mess with my new toy: the Dell Vostros 1400(from which I am writing this post) and well, just basically doing nothing.

And I am so fucking bored.

So bored I drew up a routine for myself. Which without fail, is only carried out in parts and the rest relegated to "next day la". I gathered all my lousy electronics and wanted to consign them to the used goods hell that is the karung guni's pickup but as you would with cabs, the dude just isnt there when you need him! So my creative mind started wondering if it would be better if I repair them, which only makes it very likely their rotting carcases will decompose in my room for a while more. You know how it is like with repairs - who do you trust? how much? and is it worth bringing that heavy printer to the shop, only to be told you are better off getting a cheaper new one.

And I have yet to look at my forex stuff. Good work, Ming. You are spending so much money on this new laptop and the course only to what again?

Hang on while I bash myself over the head with the heavy printer.

In the midst of that fierce slacking, I was at Zoukout. Overall, it was average at best. I am still fucking pissed that Ame was put at the main tent and at an impossibly early timeslot of 11pm. Who goes to a party at that time anyway?! Anyway, here's a summary of how the music went post-Ame:

Main arena:
Bookashade - interesting to see them do their music live but you get used to it after a while. Music wasnt tight. Boring...

Carl Cox - pumping techno all the way! Pretty good.

Fuck Armin and Aldrin. Armin because it is bad music. Aldrin 'cos he's up against Osunlade. More on that later.

Velvet arena:
Steve Aoki - I havent heard this guy but from what I saw, he's really good. It's kinda weird cos dance music is supposed to be on but he's playing rock with CDJs. Oh, what the hell, the crowd loved him.

LCD Soundsystem - They sucked BIG time. Really was a case of "I-am-the-DJ-and-I-will-play-whatever-I-want-so-screw-you-little-people-on-the-sand". Sucked.

Gilles Peterson - good first hour of the latin, bossa and twisted afro house. Then he slapped on the soulful house and disco in the next hour, which was fine cos we got in some rest time for...

OSUNLADE

I dont even know how to describe it. At 7am, my legs were starting to give way under me but it was so easy to lose myself in his music. It was so, so, so, so, so good. Like I said, it's beyond words. With Osunlade, you really feel alive. It's like he can condense what life is all about - the bitter, the fear, the anger, love, memories, happiness into his music. I dont think I will ever hear anything like that ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters