Monday, September 12, 2005

Views from the top

In the geography textbooks of past, you learn that skyscrappers are built to maximise use of the limited land in the Central Business District. What they don't tell you is they are also by-products of megalomania...

And as I stare down the new building next to my office that will soon pierce the air like so many others here, I recall my views from the top:
1) The Pod at the new National Library - it's got these awkwardly-angled ceiling-to-floor windows that lets you see a little more of the sky above you and a little more of what's below you. Think Star Wars.
2) The Tower Club at Republic Plaza - which is a total of 60-ish floors up and right at the heart of Raffles Place (erm, wherever that may be). Fantastic views, big leathery antique chairs and chandeliers make for a great place to share with someone special. And you have to be special yourself too - membership's only by invitation.
3) Pasir Ris flats. From 10 floors onwards. I don't know what to make of it but with the flats in Pasir Ris (i stayed there for a few years and there were plenty of friends' places to smash the Nintendo to bits then), I always felt like I am falling over. Someone should do a tilt check on them. I can swear they are slanted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters