Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Happy T'chers Day (belated)

And so my practicum is done. What an exhausting 2 months! Teaching really ain't easy but then again, work never is.

But let me get this off my chest first. About 2 weeks ago, some disgruntled writer (current or ex-teacher, I can't rem) wrote to the ST about how teachers are overwhelmed and grossly underpaid despite all the recent changes. She found it ridiculous that trained teachers are earning way less than private tutors, some of which may be less than ideally qualified to teach. Blah, blah...

My point? Stop whining and get out if you think you deserve better. In case you don't realise it, you aint no big shot and the system is too big for you to change with one letter. What your letter does is in fact giving people the wrong impression that teachers are trigger-happy with their unhappiness, ready to complain at the drop of a hat and about everything at that! Sure, I feel underpaid too, considering the sheer amount of work I have to do and the emotional drain that comes with dealing with ill-behaved students. But it does feel good when you know you have made your point with students and they are the better for it. When they laugh at a video of The Simpsons you are showing them and keep looking at you for affirmation that you too found that one scene funny. When they look up to you and say to themselves that "maybe Mr. Tay can teach me a thing or two".

Not everything can be measured in terms of material worth, you know.

For me, I already know what I am in for. Teaching is no walk in the park and I am just gonna do my best to help the kids who come under my charge. At the same time, I am going to take advantage of the opportunities that come with the job to advance my career prospects because hey, you never know what's going to happen. But when push comes to shove, you better be prepared.

My point: never say "never". And clean your nose so when opportunities are ripe for the picking, you harvest.

Happy 'chers day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters