Caught between two
I hate dining at spiffy places where they serve you pathetic portions of food for proportionally bigger outlays of your dough and everyone sees everyone put whatever into their mouths. This Crystal Jade offshoot which only serves Macau cuisine at Bugis Junction, is one of them.
Anyway, there I was, with her at this little cosy place I've come to like quite a bit ("Ambrosia" - you can find it at Baghdad St). Soft, warm lights and Lush 99.5fm over the speakers (a bit too loud) and those teak high-back lounge chairs. Just us having a good conversation over some Havlas (some nutty cake to be dipped in honey and choc syrup. Hmmm...tastes suspiciously like Sara Lee, come to the think of it) and some passion-fruity namesake of the cafe. Some people started streaming in. One of them looks cute. I can't see very well through all that seesha smoke so I turned to the pretty face in front of me...
"Ming Wei..."
It's Maxine.
"Hey..." (hands on the armrests, all tensed and ready to leap out of my chair but didn't)
"Hey...long time no see"
"You are outta school now right?"
"Yeah. I am." (Why didn't she do her honours?)
"Whatcha doing now?"
"I am here for a project meeting. At the table next to yours." (Huh? Nooooo...)
"Oh. Where cha at now?"
"(erm, I can't remember. But it's some arty farty thingy at Little India)" (by this time, I am feel the other "her" 's eyes on me). I will talk to you."
"OK"
Maxine.
"Haven't seen that smile for such a long time" - Telepopmusik-"Smile"
I still have her number. But the timing's shitty. So we move on with our lives.
Anyway, there I was, with her at this little cosy place I've come to like quite a bit ("Ambrosia" - you can find it at Baghdad St). Soft, warm lights and Lush 99.5fm over the speakers (a bit too loud) and those teak high-back lounge chairs. Just us having a good conversation over some Havlas (some nutty cake to be dipped in honey and choc syrup. Hmmm...tastes suspiciously like Sara Lee, come to the think of it) and some passion-fruity namesake of the cafe. Some people started streaming in. One of them looks cute. I can't see very well through all that seesha smoke so I turned to the pretty face in front of me...
"Ming Wei..."
It's Maxine.
"Hey..." (hands on the armrests, all tensed and ready to leap out of my chair but didn't)
"Hey...long time no see"
"You are outta school now right?"
"Yeah. I am." (Why didn't she do her honours?)
"Whatcha doing now?"
"I am here for a project meeting. At the table next to yours." (Huh? Nooooo...)
"Oh. Where cha at now?"
"(erm, I can't remember. But it's some arty farty thingy at Little India)" (by this time, I am feel the other "her" 's eyes on me). I will talk to you."
"OK"
Maxine.
"Haven't seen that smile for such a long time" - Telepopmusik-"Smile"
I still have her number. But the timing's shitty. So we move on with our lives.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home