Index finger to the mouth
It's a familiar story, my career search. After 2 months, I am nowhere closer to my dream of a career in banking.
The UOB one is out, I know. I was and am really no good at selling myself. That's something I have to work on.
And with reservist coming up, I can really forget about securing a job now. Nobody would want to wait for me for 2 weeks, especially if it's not a lengthy contract to begin with. In the meantime, I will just stick to my tuition job and keep sending resumes for banking positions. Maybe look for relief teaching positions in the schools nearby too.
I need to narrow my focus - I know I am looking for banking and finance-related positions but exactly where? My typical answer at interviews has been consumer banking but rather I should be saying things like "I am looking at consumer banking-related positions that would allow me to utilise my multi-tasking abilities in customer service and operations".
All these huffing and puffing in finding the career that I want has me thinking about attaining financial independence sooner than later. I don't really enjoy making others rich at my expense, though they may be giving me my salaries. Lining others' wallets is not my calling.
The UOB one is out, I know. I was and am really no good at selling myself. That's something I have to work on.
And with reservist coming up, I can really forget about securing a job now. Nobody would want to wait for me for 2 weeks, especially if it's not a lengthy contract to begin with. In the meantime, I will just stick to my tuition job and keep sending resumes for banking positions. Maybe look for relief teaching positions in the schools nearby too.
I need to narrow my focus - I know I am looking for banking and finance-related positions but exactly where? My typical answer at interviews has been consumer banking but rather I should be saying things like "I am looking at consumer banking-related positions that would allow me to utilise my multi-tasking abilities in customer service and operations".
All these huffing and puffing in finding the career that I want has me thinking about attaining financial independence sooner than later. I don't really enjoy making others rich at my expense, though they may be giving me my salaries. Lining others' wallets is not my calling.
----------
The past week has been dull. Except for the CFD talk and Saturday night out with Rongjia and pals.
First up, the Contract for Difference talk. Was there with Nai and although I wasn't too impressed with the speaker's oratorical skills, his salesmanship is quite evident. Clearly, they have done a lot to make the prices very attractive. And they offered a rather comprehensive package that is a lot more value for money than what was on sale at the other trading seminar I went. I was nearly tempted...and wanted to ask Nai to let me sign up for the course on his credit card. Then I realised I have no primary income to support any trading activities. Sure, I can afford the monthly installments for the seminar but I wouldnt have enough to start trading and cover potential losses.
But CFD trading does seem very viable. Basically, it is stock trading for a much lower outlay but with the same risks and potential for upside. Because you only need to pay a deposit that is equivalent to 10 - 20 percent of the stock price to trade, the yield ratio can be quite substantial. And as with stock trading, you have the usual tools to do your trade. Oh, the usual brokerage charges apply too...
Have to learn more :)
Then on Sat, I was supposed to meet Alvin but after tuition, I realised I had to help with Dad's bill...which I left at home. So home I went...and stayed. It was already 930pm and I had to reach MOS before 12, so I had to skip Al's and head for Clarke Quay.
It cost me $8.50. I really must make it a point to stop spending on unnecessary cab trips. Get out of the house early, boy! Stop mucking around!
That's my problem. I have been mucking around for the longest time. I think the rot started in JC. It carried through to NS then to University and now...
So... MOS was shitty as before. There's no proper place to mill around in Pure room cos all the tables were pushed to the sides and they were taken. Nobody would want to stand in the middle of the room! The sound system was crappy in the main room cos frankly, after hearing Zouk's, nothing else is good anymore.
We kept moving, looking for a place to call our own but no luck there.
Then I came up with a brilliant idea. We went to Zouk.
Tony Tay tried to play a little housey that night. Erm, bad move. It was so obvious house's not his cup of tea. And when he and Maniam (havent seen him around for the longest time!) tried to play off each other, I cringed. Like I said, it was awful. He was pretending to be Aldrin.
Which sucked.
Then Byden took over and I had the best 1 hour of my Saturday :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home