Monday, July 20, 2009

Mutual respect is a rare commodity

2 incidents prompted this:
1) a student with absolutely no regard for authority reacting like a lout though my simple instruction was for him to get on task during curriculum time (he was seen engaging in a bout of wrestling with a friend). What made it worse was the passiveness I met with when I confronted said student about his hooligan-like behaviour. The VP was there. The HOD was there. And they said nothing except a shake of their collective head. Their and other teachers' excuses for the student's behaviour was he's troubled, he's incorrigible etc.

My take: My life's no bed of roses either. I have taken more than my fair share of hard knocks and life does give you plenty of those. What right has said student to demand to be treated with kid gloves? I am letting you know life is such - it's gritty, it's a struggle most times and then you take charge. Stop covering up for your insecurities by acting tough and seek help. Stop cowering behind a facade of circumstances which you pretend are beyond your locus of control.

By the way, the lack of support herein from my colleagues is outright disappointing and just reaffirms my belief that I am once again in the company of flawed leadership.

Oh, what I would give to work for someone who I can really look up to.

2) The 2nd incident offers yet another piece of evidence you should quit while you are still on top. We have this experienced educator coaching us in some research project. It's comprehensive but maybe that's the problem. The course should not be mistakenly regarded as less robust than any undergraduate module for it covers an extensive amount of material that any serious researcher would do well to take heed of.

Which results in an exhausting and subsequently ineffective workshop. I think it is exceedingly rude to not end your meetings on time. Firstly, you are not showing consideration for other people's time, which should not be any less valuable than yours. Having gone through near 8 hours of work, to have to attend a 2.5hr workshop is asking quite a bit. Add to that, a mere 20 minutes (not even half an hour!) for lunch and you can understand why we weren't looking forward to it.

But what astounds me is how she arrogantly slapped on a near 40% extra time and chatised me in full view of everyone. Excuse me? Have you considered why I was looking at my watch constantly and stretching myself? Do I have to verbalise my body aches? Have you considered how exceedinly painful your material is to go through and that everyone has a home to go to, to get a life because 50% of their Monday is already spent on work and there is only 8hrs to get a good night's sleep?

Please, if ever you find yourself having to chair a meeting or addressing an audience, have the good sense to show a little respect for others. Be on time. If that's hard, don't be crazily late. An extra 5-10 minutes for meetings should always be acceptable because contingencies and digression will always creep in. But to hold people later by more than 10% of the stipulated length is just plain old arrogance, inefficiency and yes, rude.

It is also the clearest indication of a person's leadership, this rare thing we call mutual respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters