Sunday, August 09, 2009

An Expensive Long Weekend

This is definitely the costliest week I ever had...and the week's not even done yet! There might just be further damage before tomorrow goes.

First up was Nai's wedding. Took a cab from my place, paid up my ang pow and cab back. Ouch,ouch,ouch!

Then met up with the boys from HSH. Took them to Aburiya but 'cos everyone's not in a boom time mood, we limited the damage to about $30 (for them) and $40+(for me 'cos I was first to whip out my credit card...stupid rite). The food's always been good the times I went but that's only if you are willing to spend a little (at least $40 per pax). But these people so "cat". Oh, took cab there at peak hr rates, got suckered at 2 ERP gantries, picked Mark up along the way but at least he paid more than his share and sent me home somemore. There was also Mac for an immediate post-dinner dessert-kopi session.

Then there was Fri,the start of the long weekend. Took cab to UOB Plaza, got suckered at one ERP though I wasn't doing all these at peak hr rates. High tea at my fave dim sum place, Tian Fu Teahouse with Felicia. I really like this place. The dim sum is always good, the teas excellent as usual though I tend to overdrink and that means the flavours of the dim sum got washed out pretty fast.

Then lingered around Raffles P, always looking over my back to see if I could spot HER. Well, no. Got to Timbre to meet up with the DND peeps. Good company, good food and a weak Midori. Damage: $33. The live entertainment wasnt too bad. After my last live band experience at Wala Wala years ago (it was goddamn boring cos they were playing damn old shit in an air conditioned soulless room lacking of eye candy), I have totally sworn off live bands. But the guys at Timbre started nicely enough though, abeit tongue-in-cheek with their rendition of the Wonder Girls' "Nobody". Starbucks followed and then it was cabbing home with Tian Yong.

But today really takes the cake. The crime scene: Grand Mercure Roxy's Feast@East buffet. Shabby food (laksa without cockles! shrunk oysters! no chocolate fondue!) and crazily expensive cos there's no fucking UOB promo on eve of public holiday. Bought the family there cos I want to make it a point to have our own family gathering besides at CNY and the extended family's. Most severe damage without the corresponding value.

TOTAL BILL: $540!

Lessons learnt:
1) get outta the house and take the train, goddamn it!
2) Nai's a dick. He made us get together on a weekday evening cos he said he will be gone Friday or Sat. Then he fucking didnt show up. We couldn't stay longer cos everyone's got to work the next day and we had to show up all flustered from a hard day's work.
3) Because of point 2 above, it's always a stupid idea to meet on a weekday for group gatherings. Always.
4) check and double confirm credit card privileges especially if they are supposedly good deals. They and their partners in crime are always counting on you to ignore the fine print. Fine print like: "offer not valid on eve of public holiday".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counters
Free Website Counters